12.14.2007

Number Sixteen...WIKIS

Checked out a whole bunch of wikis. I really liked the one called Library Success: A best practices wiki. I also liked seeing wikis for places (i.e. Rochester: RocWiki) and I'm now inspired to Wiki my new neighborhood, College Point.

The good, the bad, the ugly: anyone can easily make changes, it can be a little disorganized, vandalism and spam.

I would suspect the Wikis that work best are the ones where most of the people who know about it and add to it are people that really care about the topic and have a vested interest in it.

Wikis would make a great "homegrown" intranet. Our staff page is fairly well maintained and pretty organized, but it's not easy for staff to add "best practices" or "conference notes," etc. Library Chat is good for sharing, but it's more temporary. We might want to consider creating a QueensLibraryStaffWiki...????

No comments: