12.21.2007

#23 [Drum Roll please]

I am a fan of learning new things, so I loved doing the 23 1/2 things. When I started I thought I knew more than I did. There is so much out there, being created all the time, that it's important to find a way to keep up with it (to the best of our abilities and without becoming too overloaded!). One way to keep this going (I suppose without the gifts, though they were really nifty), would be to keep up the Queens Library Learning 2.0 Blog and continue to add to it. Maybe one or two new things once a month. Or,

maybe we could start a section in QLChat dealing with Library 2.0, so everyone could add to it and discuss. It would go well under the category QL Chatter.

What interested me the most was the area of tagging (i.e. Del.icio.us and Technorati). I have always been intrigued by the use of additional metadata to locate things. What is contrary to the librarian in me is the non-controlled nature of it. But that's the point, really, that we're going to be happy with the results we get. Is it the best, most comprehensive, most accurate...nope, but that's OK. Maybe trying to control the EXPLOSION of books, articles, websites, blogs, podcasts, evideos, etc. is futile. I still love searching for things, using my library tools of controlled vocabulary, etc. and finding something someone was looking for but couldn't find in the great google mass of keyword searching. Or maybe, we've got to continue to do the best we can, to work with the LIS vendors and the Search engines to make sense of this mess. Or maybe, messy is inevitable. ;->

More to come on Library 2.0 overload soon, as I continue this blog into the future.

1 comment:

masidorai said...

Congratulations on completing the 23 1/2 things. Thank you for your compliment on my slide show. Your lava lamp is cool. I will find some time to read the rest of your blog soon.