11.19.2007

Checked out that Library Thing (#11)

Well, I like it. Found some obscure "family history" materials and added them to My Library. This will be a great place to add books related to my crazy ancestors and share the list with my mom.


Interesting ancestors:

Jeremiah Vanderbilt, Town Clerk, Flushing. In 1789 his house, along with the bulk of documents relating to the Flushing Remonstrance of 1657, were destroyed in a fire. Queens Library is participating in the 350th anniversary of the Flushing Remonstrance.


Abraham Van Nest, wealthy merchant, owner of Van Nest Homestead that covered what is now known as the West Village (why oh why did some of this bounty not trickle down?!?)


John and Priscilla Alden. Yup, I'm one of those Mayflower descendants. Of those that migrated to America on the Mayflower, John and Priscilla probably have the largest number of descendents.

William Merritt Post, my great-grandfather, was a turn of the century painter of streams and trees.

William Gardner, another one of my great-grandfathers, was a famous yacht designer, including the record breaking Schooner, The Atlantic. The Atlantic "under command of the notorious Charlie Barr won the transatlantic race for the Kaiser's Cup from New York to England in the spring of 1905 in 12 days, 4 hours and 1 minute. A record that stood 100 years."

And many more!!!


Library Thing should prove to be very useful! Glasshalffull's (a.k.a. Lianna's) Library.

2 comments:

Librarianne said...

Wow. I had no idea you were such a blue blood. DAR anyone?

Lianna Kelly [aka HalfFull] said...

I know...it's so funny. I take my grandmother's stance on the DAR (well la-dee-dah). Her way of acknowledging our ancestors was to name her daughter "Priscilla Alden." Too much fun.